Are You Using Blacklisted Backlinks? Check Now
Understanding what keywords are and how to use them is critical to your success.
If you get this right, you’ll find yourself attracting thousands of hungry visitors to your website every month.
But the problem is many people get it wrong and either attract nobody or thousands of time wasters.
So today, I am going to show you how to get keywords right!
What Will I Learn?
What Are Keywords?
Keywords are words and phrases that people type into search engines to find answers.
These keywords (or search queries) help search engines find the most accurate content for your query.
That means your websites primary keywords should be focused around the problem your business solves.
Depending on what your business is, you might target keywords such as-
- Custom printed t-shirts
- Locksmiths in Chicago
- Online meditation courses
- Art classes Sheffield
And when people don’t know your business exists, this is how they will find you.
So it’s important that first you decide what those primary keywords are for your business and secondly that you have optimised your onpage SEO for those keywords.
This will help ensure your site is not only relevant to what people are searching for, but it is also focused on attracting the right kinds of people.
How Do Keywords Work?
Keywords serve as the bridge between search engines and your website.
They take people who have a query and pair them up with websites that answer the query.
Keywords help a search engine like Google identify what your site or content is about to help them
pair the right people with the right page.
Search engines don’t automatically know the topic of your website.
Instead they “read” your content using crawlers and analyse the content to figure out which keywords are relevant to a page.
Let’s say you run a business that prints custom t-shirts.
Mentioning the keywords “custom t-shirt” on your page helps give context to your site.
Take a look at how this website has scatted the keyword through it’s page-
A search engine will file this away in its “custom t-shirt” department.
Then when someone comes along and searches “custom t-shirt”…
…the website will be eligible to appear in the search results-
The end result of this is-
- The person searching finds the right website to solve their query
- The business owner gets a new customer they wouldn’t have otherwise had
To put it simply:
Keywords are the bridge between search engines and your website.
Why Are Keywords Important?
Without keywords, there would be no search engines or search engine marketing.
And there would be no way for people to find your business easily.
The search process ALWAYS starts with keywords!
Regardless of whether that search is typed into a search bar or spoken into a device.
So if you are serious about increase your websites revenue, you have to take keywords seriously across your business.
Because without keywords:
How are people going to find your business in today’s world?
How Keywords Signal Intent
The best thing about keywords, is people are literally telling you what they want.
Your job as a business owner, is to give it to them.
Different types of keywords signal different intent, so you can make sure that you are fully focused on attracting the right types of people.
- Navigational: The searcher wants to go to a specific website or page
- Informational: The searcher wants to learn something new
- Transactional: The searcher wants to buy a product
These different intents are clear from the specific words the person is searching for.
Let’s look at Nespresso coffee as a simple example:
- Navigational: If you just want to go to the Nespresso website, you’d just search for “Nespresso” and click the homepage link.
- Informational: If you want to learn about a Nespresso coffee machine before you buy one, you might look for “Nespresso coffee machine reviews”
- Transactional: If you want to buy a Nespresso coffee machine you may want to search for, “Buy Nespresso coffee machine” or “Cheap Nespresso coffee machines”
Do you understand the key differences in these levels of intent?
It’s important that you do.
Because you can optimise your content to attract the right person and their desired outcome to your website.
You wouldn’t try to compete with Nespresso on their navigational keyword.
Not only would you lose but you’d also be getting traffic from people who’d leave your site immediately in search of the correct one.
But you would try to compete for informational or transactional keywords.
Because people may not necessarily want to read a review or buy from Nespresso themselves.
But they might want to hear it from an independent 3rd party.
Especially if you can give them a really detailed hands on review or a great deal.
WARNING: there is one type of keyword that you shouldn’t use: the meta keywords.
Wrapping It Up
So now you know what keywords are and why they are important to your succes.
Keyword help search engines pair the right people with the right webpages.
By using the right keywords on your site you’re able to tell search engines like Google what your website or content is about, so it can be shown to the right people.
Different searches have different types of intent:
So with that said:
It’s time to look a closer look at all of the different types of keywords and how to use them effectively.
PRO TIP: if you want to learn more about keywords and level up your skills, I highly suggest you take an SEO certification.
Frequently Question Asked
What is keyword with example?
A keyword can be a word or a phrase that searchers type into the search engines (Google, Bing etc) to find what they’re looking for. For example, if you’re looking to buy a new pair of shoes, you might type “womens trainers” or “womens boots”.
How do I find keywords?
If you want to find the best keyword(s) for your content, please read my post about keyword research.
Learn More About Keywords
- Download My Intelligent Keyword Research Template Now
- Free Keyword Research Tools For Awesome Keyword Research In 2022
- Google Keyword Planner: How To Use It The Right Way
- How To Use Buyer Keywords To Boost Your Sales
- Keyword Research: The What, Why & How.
- LSI Keywords: The Ultimate Guide To Finding & Using Them Effectively
- The Best Keyword Research Tools (And How To Use Them)
- These 7x Types Of Keywords Will Increase Your Search Traffic
- What Are Branded Keywords And Why Should You Use Them?
- What Is A Keyword Scraper And How Do You Use It For SEO?